Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Time to leave the country

That's right, I'm leaving the U.S.  I'm tired of residency.  I'm quitting.  I'm going to make a run for the border.

No, I'm actually going on a humanitarian medical mission trip.  It's a 10-day trip to Honduras with a group of military medical personnel and I leave this Thursday.  We'll be providing medical care to the local children there, as well as surveying for nutritional deficiencies and visiting regional hospitals.  I'm pretty excited.  I'll be sure to write about it when I get back.

It's actually perfect timing because I've been feeling restless.  It's been a month since my last blog entry and things have gone back to normal.  I've been doing research, which is interesting but can be a bit mundane.  I have my clinic once a week, which can also be pretty routine.  Not only routine, but it can be tiring and frustrating.  Yesterday I had a very disgruntled mom who was extremely rude to me.  I am usually quite patient and will put up with a lot from people.  But for some reason yesterday it really got to me.  I was in a bad mood the rest of the day.

Which is why I'm looking forward to going to a third world country where people have different perspectives.  People aren't so demanding and entitled.  At least, that's how it was in Kenya.  I'm guessing Honduras will be similar.  Whatever the case may be, I'm looking forward to a change in scenery.  A change in MY perspective.  Something to renew my love of medicine and children.  I've gotten somewhat disheartened over the last few weeks.  I've been feeling tired, inept, and unmotivated.  It's funny how residency works that way - it ebbs and flows.  There are times I love it and feel like I am right where I need to be.  Then there are other times I wonder why the heck I ever wanted to be a doctor.

So I guess it's time to make my escape.  Hasta luego!

No comments: